Today TNIC celebrated RTI week by conducting a workshop on RTI. PIOs and RTI Activists, NGOs, Media persons were equally invited. We were invited to present on the role of “Information seekers”.
Note: Awaiting for the snaps taken yesterday from Information Commission. Should receive in couple of days and update here.
Our presentation – Digitization
- India facing a data problem in a Unique scale, that no other country has faced. Governance of 1.4 billion people.
- The majority of the current population not having enough technical literacy.
- PIO being an additional responsibility.
- Real story from Ground.
What technology can do
- Modi’s Digitize India Initiative – https://digitizeindia.gov.in
- Online RTI Generator – http://grayfaceofindia.in/online-rti-generator/
- Estonia – Case study
- Most digital advanced government in the world.
- Can renew license in 3 minutes.
- Can register a Company in 18 minutes.
- 95% of the population file IT returns in 2 weeks from the IT filing date.
- More than everything, Both citizens and government officials are happy.
- So no one speaks about RTI, Freedom of Information or anything.
- Estonia has several unique advantages. But we can do better and we already started travelling in that direction.
- With digitization, we can achieve “Maximum Governance, Minimum Government”
- Turning into a Problem finder is first step. But we should evolve to Problem solvers.
- RTI Case studies – Walkthrough and discussions to how each case can be handled.
- Excellent speech by the Special Invitees, other Information seekers and PIOs.
- Heart touching, real life RTI stories from Thiru. S. Rajendran, Anna Institute of Management.
- New but enlightening definition of “Information” by Chief state information commissioner, Mr. Ramanujam.
- Interesting Questionnaire session at the end, where both CSIC Mr. Ramanujam and Thiru Justice K. Chandru answered.
- Mr. Ramanujam’s Intent of forming a group of both officials and activists to brainstorm on how to handle exceptional appeals.
We are thankful to Mr. Ramanujam and honored to have given such a stage to share our thoughts and ideas.