Adyar and Cooum rivers (Chennai, India) were once the symbol of our glory and the backbone of our waterways, but now they have been turned into a symbol of disgrace with exceeding amount of untreated toxic sewage and human waste getting stagnated in river and causing mosquito menace, which leads to spread of vector borne diseases. Clearly, our Lack of vision and Improper Governance have led to the dramatic downfall of these two iconic rivers that once gave our city its flavour. The major problems faced by our rivers are pollution, encroachment, water stagnation, etc.,
Over 700 untreated sewage outlets are identified by the govt itself, but no action is taken
With the intent of bringing some positive change to our Adyar and Cooum rivers, we decided to move legally via RTI and Complaints…
- Our first step is to document evidences of poor state of Adyar and Cooum rivers and in this regard we snapped 240 photos, depicting the poor status of the rivers. (January, 2013)
- Filing a series of RTI Application enquiring the Name / Designation of authorities responsible for clean maintenance of rivers, Budget allocated by government for the river’s maintenance, Inspection reports, status of Pumping Station / Treatment Plants, etc., (February, 2013)
- Sending a complaint to concerned departments with the photos, requesting them to clean up the river and to properly maintain it (February, 2013)
- Online petition @ Change.org, that will send a mail to the concerned authorities when each and every person signs it (External Link)
- Following up on the RTI Applications (with Infographic) filed in Step 2. (February, 2013 to July, 2014)
- Filing RTI applications to enquire on the status of the complaints which was filed on February 2013. (August, 2013 to December, 2013)
Yet to Decide, Possible ideas:
- Filing Case against CMWSSB / CoC / PWD in National Green Tribunal to stop letting sewage water into the river.
- Closely followup on any River cleanup projects to be announced by government with RTI and unravel any misuse of Public Money.
(should not be required)
|Adyar river Photos||Cooum river Photos|
Keep up the good work!
Hope this acts like a wake up call for the sleeping government.
Excellent work, guys!! I appreciate your hard work and dedication. I am willing to support in any way I can. Namba chennai singara chennai ah maaranum!!
Thanks Vasanth. To make Singara Chennai a reality, we all should work together, please drop us a mail to email@example.com
I am in for supporting in anyway i can. I hereby file an informal “RTI” about the charges for hosting grayfaceofindia.in and i will help a little from my side 🙂
haha.. A first RTI directed at us 🙂 Please drop us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact number. We are planning for a meetup this weekend. Maybe you could also join.
Please let me know of any kind of support you require from me. I will be more than happy to help you.
We personally dont require any support, but our country needs all our support 🙂 Please drop us a mail to email@example.com We are planning for a meetup this weekend. Maybe you could also join.
Great work guys. I truly believe this issue requires greater publicity in order to gain momentum.
Pingback: Gray Face of India – Past one year ← Gray Face of India
Its been a year since the project of following up the cleaning project was started,and we have not seen any appreciable work in this matter.It only shows how strong and datermined our Govts and administration are towards not implementing the work and not get it cleaned at all.The work done in follow up has been very commendable no doubt,but to get the babus to get up from their chair and get to do work is truly an uphill task.I really wonder where we will end up in about 50 years from now??Now that the population is reaching obscene levels in the city,our resources are getting either polluted or neglected and our govts atre becoming more and more corrupted.
True words James.. That is why we should unite and fight against every injustice to give a safer, cleaner, secure world to our descendants…
It is not only the government, which should take necessary action but the people should have civic sense and let us take pains in not littering the place. To clean up a good plan, money and men are needed but to maintain good mind and love for greenery and cleanliness is needed. So, let us not only help the government in cleaning up the rivers but help them maintain it so that our money is not spent again and again on the same work
immediate implementing is wanted
It is our response to implement it immediately.
What should a public people like us can help you in doing this restoration work. We too like to take part in this work.
Please drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with you phone number to participate 🙂
Pingback: Elections 2014 – Excited and saddened about it !!!
I want help how to compaint koovam river polution department
My home is Choolaimedu my house backside koovamriver going with full chemicals
Pingback: Elections 2014 - Excited and saddened about it !!! -